Sunday 19 June 2016

Father's Day is now a thing - But my father is not a fan

Growing up, I couldn't imagine a special day for mothers or fathers. Whatever for? The last thing a typical Indian kid wants is attention from dad, because that usually means you're in trouble.In many Indian homes, gender roles are fairly rigid. Fathers are breadwinners, mothers are homemakers. Mom takes care of the house and kids. Dad? Generally tired, he's the ultimate authority to enforce rules being challenged or scold you for bad grades .My father was the heavy hand, when he spoke it was like The Master Has Spoken. I remember feeling absolutely thunderstruck watching an American dad doing handstands with his kids in a Delhi swimming pool. Who knew dads could do things like that?
As i am growing up, my father and i are growing  quite close too.  We have started to have real conversations, share feelings, thoughts, even talk about the past. But I never expended money or brain-space on what to gift him for Father's Day.
 Then in June 2016,out of blue , my brother asked me,"what are we giving Baba for father's day"? 
I blame it on gift shops. They began promoting the holiday and offering gift cards which has clearly brainwashed my brother.As if birthdays weren't hard enough to think of gifts.
So what to give my 59 year old father,who thinks gifts for father's day are a waste of money?
To find out , i asked  him directly
"When is father's day"?,he countered
Sunday , i told him laughing
"Nothing," he said thoughtfully ,"Just , a nice big hug"
I said i'd do that anyway
By this time he was laughing too ,Well then" he answered " What more do i want"?

No comments:

Post a Comment