Monday 26 June 2017

Why I Like Staying Up Late

Why I Like Staying Up Late


"I have loved the stars too fondly
 to be fearful of the night."
 - The Old Astronomer, Sarah Williams

Once the day ends, and everyone goes to sleep, that's when I find my solace, an unmatched kind of peace,  accompanied by the constant chatter of the crickets that become music to my ears.

Night-time offers a soothing therapy for all of my days. I can think or overthink, do nothing or complete everything and even keep staring at the wall in complete oblivion without any immediate repercussions.

For once, you are in complete control of your mind, heart and actions without being answerable to anyone. After all, the 'ping' of your cellphone doesn't happen at 1 in the morning. My chain of thoughts is only to be broken by the occasional yet welcoming sound of speeding vehicles on a deserted road. Why welcoming? Because I realize that I am not the only person up so late. :)

The frequent yawns are so often dismissed because it is better to be up doing something, than just lying on the bed, trying and failing miserably at sleeping, after all there are miles to go before I sleep.

But here's the thing, the one thing I love more than being awake and enjoying my peace of mind is sleeping,

Oxymoron at it's best, eh?

7 comments: